In terms of accessibility and SEO, the addition of video captions offers many advantages for both viewers and content creators. But we all understand the creation of subtitles is not always simple. However, you can save a lot of time and energy by selecting the software for closed captioning that best fits your working style and finishes your captions in less time.
We know most people don’t have the time to research all the tools that are available online to make the best decision. That’s why we have researched and created this list which includes some versatile closed captioning software that can translate languages for you in real-time.
1. Wowza Streaming Engine
Wowza Streaming Engine software can ingest caption information and convert it to the appropriate caption format for streaming by using Apple HLS, Adobe HDS, and RTMP. A number of player technologies can be used to display closed CEA-608 captioning information in live streams, including Apple iOS phones, VideoLAN vlc players, and many set-top boxes.
- Convert and deliver captions that are embedded in the video content as well as captions that are supplied in external files alongside the video content, sometimes called sidecar files.
- Can extract 3GPP Timed Text caption data from MP4 files or from companion files that are used to specify the following formats.
- Connect to back-end caption providers that allow the server to ingest virtually any live caption format through its Java API.
- Offers a wide variety of supported caption formats and caption-conversion capabilities of any media server for live and video-on-demand content.
All pricing schemes are based on the number of server instances that you use, so you can scale your solution affordable. Pricing starts at $65 per instance per month billed annually.
2. MacCaption & CaptionMaker
MacCaption & CaptionMaker is a user-friendly captioning and subtitling software for Mac and Windows. It offers an efficient way for you to comply with federal regulations while maintaining the fast delivery of time-sensitive captioned video material. Furthermore, it is a cloud-based service that uses the power of AI to return texting and timing results within your project.
- Save time by generating a text transcript of your video automatically using speech-to-text technology.
- Get text results faster than real time – save time by examining outcomes while the speech engine continues processing.
- Prepare captions and subtitles in several resolutions and frame rates that include 4K, UHD, and 23.98 fps.
- Provides a list of vocabulary words and phrases that reduces corrections.
MacCaption & CaptionMaker provides three premium plans (Desktop Edition for $1,720/year, Pro Edition for $6,325/year and Enterprise Edition for $11,950/year). A free trial is also available.
Encoding.com is the first and only encoding software that provides universal closed captioning support for delivery to all devices. Its strong, reliable, scalable workflow package allows digital video retailers to accomplish critical company goals such as providing support for popular learning software, expand their audience and more.
- Can use any format that is used with HTML5 including cea-608/708, DFXP, SAMI, SCC, SRT, TTML 3GPP Timed Text, and WebVTT.
- This software effortlessly integrates with any existing digital video authoring and distribution workflow.
- Can extract, inject, copy and mux closed captions tracks into digital video or text files.
- Extract and convert standard closed caption tracks from source files into sidecar files.
Encoding.com provides different paid plans that starts at $199 per month.